Tampa First Responders Injury Lawyer
Police officers, firefighters, and paramedics put their lives on the line every day to help those in dire situations. Because of this, they are more likely to become injured while on the job. While all employees are eligible for workers’ compensation benefits in Florida, state law makes the process easier for first responders.
There is a high risk of injury or death for first responders. If you have been affected, protect yourself financially with the right legal help. A Tampa first responders injury lawyer from Franco Law Firm can help you with workers’ compensation benefits and other legal and financial issues.
What Benefits Do First Responders Get?
There are two main workers’ compensation benefits available to first responders:
- Lowered burdens of proof. Most workers who suffer injuries have the burden of proving that their injury happened in the workplace. First responders, however, have a lowered requirement of proof. For example, if they suffer from heart disease, hypertension, or tuberculosis, the condition is assumed to be the result of their job duties under Florida law. The employer or their insurance company would have to show proof that something else caused the condition if they want to challenge the claim.
- Coverage of PTSD as an injury. First responders in Florida can receive workers’ compensation benefits for work-related post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). As long as a qualified professional diagnoses the condition and it can be proven that the PTSD arose from the person’s work duties, they can apply for workers’ compensation benefits.
Common Workplace Injuries for First Responders
First responders suffer from a number of workplace injuries, such as the following:
- Police officers. Of all first responders, police officers are most likely to die on the job due to shooting-related incidents. Motor vehicle accidents are also common, as are slips, trips, and falls. Police officers may also suffer from burns, muscle sprains and strains, and overexertion injuries.
- Firefighters. Firefighting is a high-risk career due to the very nature of the job, which of course is extinguishing fires. Firefighters also perform duties such as hazardous material response, disaster assistance, and search and rescue. As such, they may suffer from injuries due to fires, explosions, smoke inhalation, toxic chemicals, animal attacks, falls, and extreme weather conditions.
- Paramedics. Paramedics provide medical care for the sick or injured in high-stress environments. They help accident victims and transport patients to medical facilities. They can become injured due to slips, trips, and falls, overexertion, and vehicle accidents. They may also suffer from violent attacks and exposure to contagious diseases.
Contact Franco Law Firm Today
First responders help Florida residents every day. They deserve to have special benefits that will compensate them for issues that they may face on the job.
If you have been injured at work, no matter your profession, see how Franco Law Firm can help you get your claim approved. Contact a Tampa first responders lawyer today. Fill out the online form or call (813) 872-0929 to schedule a consultation.